Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Does Your Faucet Need to Be Cleaned?

I mentioned in a previous post about our new team at work and that we are really in for some adjustments in the near future. Today we had a team meeting and discussed a lot of the team dynamics and began development of our working agreements. A few of the things we came up with were in regards to respecting each other, how to work well and communicate, and basically never make each other look bad. Ever!

Reflecting upon these interactions this evening and thinking back to the last several weeks of Joey's messages, I wondered how often we say things or do things to co-workers, family, friends, or just the person we pass on the street that either comes out wrong or we say something before we have a chance to really think it through. How many times have we said something and ended up trying to suck the words back in as they escaped from our mouths? I know I've done it. Sometimes it really stinks to know that we've hurt someone or made them look bad and the damage is already done. The worst thing is when it's in writing and more than just the two of us see it. Technology like email and blogs are not always our friends. I've learned that the hard way. Note to self: Never leave a paper trail. It doesn't make the situation any easier, but it does save a little embarassment.

One of my favorite quotes is "People will forget the things you say and do, but never how you made them feel." And so I try to think about that before I speak or write, especially since I've been on the receving end of those hurtful words before.

Having said all of this, how can we overflow with God's love and show it to the community when we don't even treat co-workers, family members, and friends the way we should? Is our proverbial faucet (i.e, our minds and mouths) clogged up with gunk that needs to be cleaned out? Do we need to spend a little more time with our assigment from week 1 - spending time in the Word - before we can focus on overflowing? I ask all of this becuase I know that I'm challenged with this sometimes too. My words may not be particularly telling, but maybe my actions speak more loudly.

After reading Joey's post today, I think we are doing the right thing at the right time. The community around our church and Confluence, and even the communities where you live, need us. We have to clean out our gunky faucets so that we are truly overflowing with the right things as we come into contact with the people we want to touch. But things have got to be right in Jerusalem before we can tackle Judea. How are things inside of your Jerusalem walls? Are they ready to overflow or does the faucet have some issues?

2 comments:

Brad Jones said...

Jesus said that out of the overflow of our hearts our mouths will speak. I really don't like thinking about that at times. I tell myself that it was just words or just a thought that passed through my lips and nothing more. We desperately need Christ to change us. Bill Wheeler has this saying that basically says that you can only give it if you have it. Scary thought to think....do I have it? Not that any of us will "arrive" before we leave earth, but praise God for using us as we are and blessing people by seeing what God can do with a mess of a person. Loved the post.

Brian said...

Great Post and it is so true. I like how you recap what is being said in church and how it relates to your life. It helps the people that can't be there feel like they are there. Thanks a lot.